Thursday, February 15, 2024

Barbarian's Tease (Ice Planet Barbarians #15) by Ruby Dixon

 
Barbarian's Tease by Ruby Dixon
My Rating: ★★★★

Brooke thought Taushen was not interested in her, but everything changed when they were held captive by the slavers who took over the Tranquil Lady. It turns out that Taushen is interested but convinced that there’s something wrong with him. Surely his khui would’ve chosen a mate for him by now, but it remains eerily silent, convincing him that he’s doomed to be alone. He thought Brooke wasn’t interested in him, but now everyone’s feelings are confused due a potent potion leading to a one night stand.

This time around, we follow the final unmated couple for now: Brooke and Taushen. I’ve always liked Taushen, and Brooke seemed like she was probably a cool character, so I was excited to see them pair up. I was glad to discover that Brooke was as likable as I was hoping, and it was interesting to see how she settled into life on Not-Hoth. Like many of the characters that came before her, she felt like her skills from Earth were useless for her new life. However, she was a hairdresser, so she offered to braid everyone’s hair all the time. I can picture how beautiful everyone’s hair must’ve looked while in fancy braids!

I think the two characters were well matched, and we learned a lot about how Brooke was as a person. She had one hell of a life back on Earth, and she feels as out of place in her new life as she did back home. It was interesting to see her feel like she was always on the outside looking in just like she always did. I liked watching her slowly figure herself out and slowly fall in love along the way.

However, I do think she needed to give poor Taushen a break. She tells him she just wants to be friends, and he honors that, and then she gets mad he doesn’t seem interested in her anymore? It was funny to see her attempts at flirting fly straight over his head, but I just wanted her to spit her feelings out instead of being mad that he appeared to move on. 

That said, I also really loved Taushen more than ever. We saw him slowly withdraw in the background of the other books, so it was great to learn why that was from inside his head. I really liked that he didn’t blame anyone but himself for why he didn’t resonate. Well, he did wonder if his khui was just too choosy, but he saw it as part of his own flaws. He was a surprisingly deep character and I really enjoyed that.

All in all, this was another fun read. It’ll be interesting to see how the series moves forward, especially since the spin-off series takes off after this. I’m starting to wonder if I should pace myself at this point because it looks like I’ll be reaching the end of this series soon. Even though there’s a spin-off, I don’t know what I’m going to do with myself after I reach the final book!

No comments:

Post a Comment