Saturday, February 10, 2024

Barbarian's Lady (Ice Planet Barbarians #13) by Ruby Dixon

Barbarian's Lady by Ruby Dixon
My Rating: ★★

Kate and Harrec started off on the wrong foot when Harrec happily said that Kate was a mountain of a woman. Always bullied for being tall, Kate is irritated that Harrec keeps embarrassing her and pretending to pursue her. Things change when an accident almost costs Harrec his life. The two of them have to work together to survive, and that’s when Kate sees him in a new light. It turns out that she’s finally catching a break because he’s been sincere all along.

I’ve been enjoying this series, but this was the first book in the series that I found boring. The early chapters and the final chapters are great. It was everything in the middle that had me bored out of my mind. There were some funny moments, and it was cute, but not much was happening and Kate was a super repetitive character. It didn’t help that I couldn’t find an ounce of chemistry between Kate and Harrec.

That said, it wasn’t a bad book. Harrec is an interesting character and I liked learning his backstory as well as about some of the other characters who haven’t gotten their own books. It was really nice seeing some of the characters from the previous books, though one of them seemed kind of out of character at times. I also liked that the khui did something different than usual with resonance. I’m hoping we’ll eventually learn more about the khui. It’s always surprising what gets revealed about it.

I hope that we get to see Gale get her own book. She’s an interesting character and I’d like to learn more about her. It would also be different to see a book in the series based on two characters choosing each other while knowing they’ll never resonate. Vaza is a widow, Gale can’t have kids anymore, and they’re both older characters. I’d love to see their love story play out in a book of their own.

While this book was a dud for me, I am looking forward to the next book. It looks like it’s going to be action packed and we’re about to learn more about the universe outside of Not-Hoth again based on the events of the epilogue.

No comments:

Post a Comment