Monday, February 12, 2024

Barbarian's Rescue (Ice Planet Barbarians #14) by Ruby Dixon

 
Barbarian's Rescue by Ruby Dixon
My Rating: ★★★★

Summer is having one hell of a day. First, Brooke ditched the fruit run, so now she’s with Warrek and making really awkward small talk. Well, it’s small talk if you count that she has diarrhea of the mouth and Warrek rarely speaks. Then the Tranquil Lady makes a surprise wobbly landing in the distance and the original crew appears to be gone. In their place are the same type of aliens that once abducted all the human women who live on Not-Hoth, and they’ve abducted everyone at Elder Cave. Now it’s up to Summer and Warrek to rescue everyone before the hostile crew discovers the village and takes everyone.

After two duds, I’m excited to say this book was excellent! This time around, we follow Summer and Warrek as they figure out how to rescue everyone being held captive on the Tranquil Lady. Summer talks enough for five people, which is highly relatable, so she does most of the talking as she and Warrek figure out what to do. Don’t worry, we know what’s up with Warrek. He’s just a quiet man, and we really get to know him through his chapters. I enjoyed reading his perspective and learning how his mind works. He always interacts with people in a limited capacity, so it was really exciting to learn his backstory as well as his friendships and what he holds most important to him.

Summer is a character I can see a lot of people being irritated by. I don’t know how Ruby pulled it off, but her diarrhea of the mouth was realistic and didn’t seem weird at all on page. That’s hard to do because too much dialogue can be a bit much, but it worked out well. That said, Summer is a pretty cool character, and now I’m happy that I know I love at least one of the new human characters. I was not feeling the last two books compared to the rest of the series and if I felt the same about this book, I was going to start getting a little worried.

I really like how Summer and Warrek work together to save everyone. It was absolutely hilarious at times, but then it was completely serious at all the right moments. We also got to see a new side of some of the other characters, so that was fun. I’m excited to see where the story goes next because there’s some things that happen in this book that could bring a lot of new things. I’m not sure how it’s going to work out, and Vektal has a whole new spaceship of stress on his hands, but I’m feeling really hopeful about the future of the series right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment