Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Mistlefoe (Mead Mishaps #1.5) by Kimberly Lemming

 
Mistlefoe by Kimberly Lemming
My Rating: ★★★★★

After the false goddess was destroyed and all the demons under her spell were freed, all hell broke loose. Humans are panicking and waiting for a demon attack, so they’re panic buying anything they can get their hands on, especially weaponry. Unfortunately for Ruby’s family, her dad made the mistake of stealing ore from a fox demon’s territory so they could make more weapons. The problem? The fox demon cursed him and the ore, so everything he and his family forges has a personality of its own, and they’re scaring off the customers by insulting everyone. Armed with one cursed long-blade and some peace offerings, Ruby is on a mission to get the curse lifted even if it takes her on an unexpected adventure.

I thought the first book was hilarious, but this novella? This was the funniest thing I’ve read in my life. The entire first page had me laughing so hard that I was clutching my stomach with tears of laughter rolling down my face. The best character in this novella is Alexis, who is a cursed sword that is actually a gift to the series. I would follow an entire series based on her adventures. Ruby is a great character, though I wonder how her dad would feel about the deal she struck with the fox demon who cursed him. Speaking of the fox demon, his name is Lucca and I actually really liked him even if I think he might be forgettable in the long run.

That said, this was an excellent and fast paced novella that honestly felt like a full length book all packed into 60 pages, and I mean that in the best possible way. There was never a moment where I felt like there was a lack of information, and while I think there could’ve been more character development with Lucca, I’m really happy with this read. I’m really looking forward to checking out the next book in the series now.

No comments:

Post a Comment