Monday, December 19, 2022

Mexico, Margaritas, and Murder (Sally and Pearl Adventure Club #1) by Wendy Day


Mexico, Margaritas, and Murder by Wendy Day
My Rating:
★★★

When Sally’s husband passes, she’s not sure what to do with herself. She spent the majority of their marriage as the housewife of a very grumpy man, but now she’s widowed and her children have families of their own. Now that Sally is free to do what she wants and be her own person, she doesn’t even know where to start, but you know who does? Pearl, her best friend of ten years, who has decided it’s time they go on a trip to Mexico.

After reading the second book in the series, I decided to give this series a solid chance because the writing is good and I really like the characters. Because I read the second book first, I didn’t really get to know much about her husband or marriage other than it wasn’t a good marriage. The longer I was reading, the more I learned what a terrible marriage she felt trapped in. I feel so bad for Sally and how she had been emotionally beat down and defeated for all those years with no way out. We learn small pieces about her marriage throughout the book, especially as Sally starts to learn how to be herself again without someone harshly judging her.

We also learn a lot about Pearl, who is naturally very tight-lipped about her past because it hurts and she’s trying to live in the moment. I was having a hard time believing these two best friends were such good friends at first, but the longer I read, the more I believed it. The shenanigans they went through were hilarious, and I could see how these characters continued to grow throughout the book.

This time around, the book was indeed a cozy mystery! I like how the mystery was being set up soon after they arrived. It was an easy mystery to solve, but that doesn’t matter when the story was a fun read. We’ve got Pearl deciding to test out her skills as an amateur sleuth, which turns out to be a bumpy ride for both her and Sally. At least the pair were having fun until things went south because they were out there poking the bear. I’m glad I decided to give this series a solid chance because it’s well written and I love the characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment