Monday, March 8, 2021

Women in Science: 50 Fearless Pioneers Who Changed the World by Rachel Ignotofsky

 
Women in Science: 50 Fearless Pioneers Who Changed the World by Rachel Ignotofsky
My Rating: ★★★★

When I saw this book, I knew I had to pick it up because I love to read books about women in history. This book specifically covers women in science, and its target audience is children and pre-teens. The overall layout of the book is beautiful. Every woman featured has some artwork depicting them in addition to small drawings and other details pertaining to their accomplishments. I thought it was such a great set up for readers.

Because of the target audience, the information provided about each person is brief and to the point. We learn when they were born, who they were, what obstacles they faced, and what they accomplished. It has the perfect amount of information that will teach its readers without overwhelming them. Plus, it has a glossary for its readers with a small drawing next to each term.

One of the things I like about this book is that it also encourages readers to pursue their dreams. At the end, there is a section briefly covering more notable women in a graph across two pages. The final notable person basically says that the next notable science could be the reader, which really left me feeling very positive when I’m not even the target audience.

My only complaint is that the text can be hard to read because it is primarily a small gray font on different color backgrounds. I read the ebook, so thankfully I could just zoom in on the text, but it was still a little difficult to read at times. That said, I don’t know how difficult it may be to read a physical copy of this book due to the font size and shade choices. 

No comments:

Post a Comment