Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Mochi Magic: 50 Traditional and Modern Recipes for the Japanese Treat by Kaori Becker


Mochi Magic: 50 Traditional and Modern Recipes for the Japanese Treat by Kaori Becker
My Rating:
★★★★

I’ve eaten various foods using mochi over the years, so I was excited to buy this book when my friend recommended it to me. I had no idea about the wide range of foods once can make with mochi or the history behind mochi, so I found this to be an interesting read. Plus, each recipe made me want to rush off and make it, especially the ones I’ve never tried before.

Inside, you’ll find a bit of history about mochi, how to make it from scratch, the differences between traditional and modern mochi, and the basics of making mochi. I was quite interested in the history as well as learning something new about Japanese culture. I also had no idea what mochi is made from, so that was neat to learn and I’m looking forward to making some of the recipes included.

There’s a nice variety of recipes and a few different ways to make mochi, such as hand-pounded, steamed, and microwaved. It was interesting to learn the differences between the flavor and texture between each method as well as what’s easier based on the amount you want to make. There’s also beautiful photos of each finished product and comprehensive instructions on what to do. I can’t wait to try some of these recipes starting with making my own mochi ice-cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment