Monday, March 8, 2021

**GUEST POST** Sabrina's Top Three Light Novels and Manga for Fantasy and Paranormal Lovers

I’ve heard you can tell a lot about a person based on their anime and manga tastes. I’m not exactly sure if it’s true, but I want to try it. The titles I am about to mention are a compilation of my favorite manga and light novels. I have listed my top three favorites as well as three honorable mentions you may also enjoy.

 

There are certain elements I keep in mind when suggesting stories. Would this person like semi-complex magic systems? Mid to high-tech technology? Darker stories that explore human nature? Fantasy settings in an urban or contemporary fantasy world?

 

If it is a yes to any of the questions, then I think you would like at least one if not all the titles. Without any further ado, here are my top three titles for fantasy and paranormal lovers.

 

 

 

1. Mahouka Koukou No Rettousei (The Irregular At Magic High School)

Author: Tsutomu Satō

Available: Light novel, Manga

I was first introduced to the light novel by a friend. He recommended it to me because of my love for magic systems and school-based settings. It did not disappoint me. You still get a feel of a typical Japanese high school life. Though the story’s setting is in the far future, the clothes, technology and buildings have a familiar modern day feel.

 

What I love most about this manga is the balance of science and magic. The way they use magic as a scientific concept is both intriguing and imaginative. It reinvents classic spells such as energy blasts and flying magic. It’s one of my most highly recommended light novels to read for those who need a little inspiration for futuristic-type stories that are not apocalyptic.

 

2. Karneval

Author: Tōya Mikanagi

Available: Manga

I first saw this as an advertisement for an upcoming season line-up. The premise intrigued me enough to watch the anime. By the end of the season, I was so hooked I went to read the manga to learn what happened next. Like Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei, I love the blend of science and magic. Though Karneval leans more towards fantasy then science fiction, the high tech objects, like flying ships, still dazzled me.

 

I would consider Karneval as a mid-fantasy world because of their array of different mythic like creature. The naming of said creatures rolls off the tongue easily and are unique in their creation. If Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei didn’t exist, then Karneval would be my number one.

 

3. Mahoutsukai no Yome (The Ancient Magus’ Bride)

Author: Kore Yamazaki

Available: Manga

For lovers of dark fantasy and the supernatural, my last recommendation is Mahoutsukai no Yome. This manga’s most alluring aspect is its fantastical settings and its magical creatures. Not every humanoid or magic user is inherently good, nor is every antagonist evil. I like that it’s not afraid to show the dark sides of magic. Regardless of the user’s intentions, there are often at times dark consequences to every spell.

 

Another aspect that I like about this manga is the blending of its fantasy worlds with reality. You can almost forget that the story’s setting is in a modern era. It's more magical scenes often happen primarily away from its urban population. The settings help explore how magic can make or break a person and their relationships. For those who want to explore the mysteries of magic and its wonders, I would recommend this manga.

 

 

Honorable Mentions

Though these are not Japanese light novels and manga, I still highly recommend them. I still wanted to mention them for their amazing stories. These stories are available to read for free on wuxiaworld.com. A word of warning, don’t let the sheer number of chapters scare you away from diving in. The chapters themselves are bite-size and leaves you wanting more.

 

1. Rebirth of the Thief Who Roamed The World by Mad Snail

2. Tales of Demons & Gods by Mad Snail

3. TranXending Vision by Li Xianyu.

 

What about these stories has pulled me in as an avid fan? These titles have been a source of inspiration for my own fictional worlds. They are everything I love writing about when creating new settings and scenes. With all that said, I hope you enjoyed my small list and will give one of these titles a try.

 

Sabrina K Mercury is a fantasy and paranormal author. You can find her blog at SabrinaKMercury.com.


Be sure to check out BooksandQuills Mag here.

No comments:

Post a Comment