Friday, March 19, 2021

**GUEST POST** Steph: Musical characters I relate to

Hi! I’m Steph and I’m doing a guest post today. I have always loved musicals, and there are three that I really connect with for some reason or other.


Amelie from Amelie

This is a musical that didn’t get a long life on Broadway, and it ran in the UK for a bit. The show follows a woman named Amelie from the time she is a child, up until her adult life. As the musical progresses we see Amelie grow from a girl who was told to stay home from school and be home schooled by her parents, to a woman who learned to live on her own. There is one song in the musical called Times Are Hard for Dreamers, and from the first time I heard this, I knew that I would love this show. I’ve always been a dreamer, and I’ve always loved helping people. Amelie was the first character I found that really embodied helping people and being kind to other people. Amelie is kind to others, and will go out of her way to help people. I believe I have these qualities as well, and while Amelie and I both love people, we’re also introverts who prefer smaller groups, or one-on-one interactions.


Sonya from The Great Comet

Natasha, Pierre, and the Great Comet of 1812 is a musical that is also lesser known in the grand scheme of musical theatre. The musical still had a great run. Sonya is the cousin of the principal character Natasha Rostova. From the time I first heard the cast recording, and I fell in love with the show as a whole, but especially Sonya, because again she was a lot like me. Sonya is kind, and would do anything for those she loves. We see this in her song.  I personally relate to Sonya because I also love to help people, and I would do most anything for my friends. Sonya’s solo called Sonya Alone, really spoke to me on a personal level.


Emma Nolan from The Prom

The Prom is a newer musical, and one of the two accessible ones on this list because of the Netflix movie that came out last year. Emma Nolan is an out lesbian who wants to take her girlfriend Alyssa to the prom. Alyssa is not out yet, and she doesn’t think her mom, who is the head of the PTA, will not understand when Alyssa comes out. The story has a happy ending, but it also discussed heavy topics. I relate to Emma because even though people tried to stop her, Emma kept on fighting, and I believe I’m one of those people that keeps on fighting as well.  Emma is also a kind soul who accepts everyone and doesn’t let people bring her down. I relate to this as well.


Eliza from Hamilton

Hamilton is another musical that was released as a movie last year, but that movie is called a pro shot, because it was taken from the stage. Eliza is Hamilton’s wife, and the one who kept going he died. Eliza is a hopeless romantic, as we see in the song Helpless, and I relate to this. I too would like to find romance someday. Eliza is helpful and she continues to fight for what Alexander Hamilton believed in after he died, at least in the context of the musical.  I would say that I will fight for the people I love much like Eliza did. Eliza is kind and non-judgmental, these are qualities I see in myself.

 

If you would like to follow my blog for more musicals or book related content you can find me -  https://paigesofbook.blogspot.com/. Books and Quills magazine is how I connected with Carmen. Check out that website-  https://booksandquillsmag.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment