Wednesday, April 17, 2024

The Secrets of Sir Richard Kenworthy (Smythe-Smith Quartet #4) by Julia Quinn

 
The Secrets of Sir Richard Kenworthy by Julia Quinn
My Rating: ★★★★

Sir Richard Kenworthy is on the market for a wife. He has a very specific list of requirements, but above all, he needs someone who will marry him in two weeks. It’s why the annual Smythe-Smith musicale seems so promising. Surely one of the Smythe-Smith ladies will be desperate enough to marry very quickly. Richard has heard they’re desperate, but what he doesn’t realize is that they’re only desperate to stop having to perform in the musicales. While he’s in for a huge surprise about their musical talent, there’s no way he could’ve ever prepared him for the lovely Iris Smyth-Smith. The problem? He’s falling in love, and now he feels even more guilty about her not knowing why they need to marry quickly.

I’ve been enjoying this series, and I found that I really liked following Iris and Richard. They hit it off really quick even though Iris is suspicious of Richard, who is riddled with guilt. I think they made a solid couple when all was said and done. They were both quite interesting even though it was bugging me that they didn’t just drop Richard’s secret early on. I thought it was kind of silly that his chapters kept dancing around it when the man would obviously keep thinking about the actual details. Either way, I loved seeing them come back from the first big hurdle in their relationship. Honestly, I don’t think Richard thought it through as much as he thought he did because he seemed to not have a plan for some pretty major things.

Despite the secrets and anguish, this was actually a hilarious read. There were some passages that had me laughing so hard that I was crying from laughter. The final performance from the Smythe-Smith family was an excellent send-off. I’m going to miss all the shenanigans with the dramatic stories and the hilarious unicorn obsession.

No comments:

Post a Comment