Monday, April 29, 2024

Part of Your World: A Twisted Tale Graphic Novel by Liz Braswell

Part of Your World: A Twisted Tale Graphic Novel by Liz Braswell
My Rating: ★★★

In a world where Ursula came out on top, we see what happened after King Triton traded his life to save Ariel. While Ursula went on to marry Prince Eric and become Princess Vanessa, Ariel became the queen of Atlantica. Miserable and still missing her voice, Ariel has been paying the price for her deal with Ursula every single day since her father sacrificed himself for her. Everything changes when a certain seagull's grandchild comes with a message… rumor is that Titan is still alive.

I’ve always been a huge Little Mermaid fan, so of course I had to pick up this book and see Liz Braswell’s take on Ariel’s story! First off, the artwork is absolutely stunning and truly brings the story to life. While I haven’t read the book this graphic novel is based on, I do plan on checking it out, and it appears that this graphic novel adaptation does it justice.

We get to see how much Ariel has matured years after her initial story, now with a sad ending. We also get to see how she comes through as Queen and saves her dad, gets the love of her life back, and defends her kingdom against Ursula along the way. It was also interesting to see how her sisters are both angry with her and support her. True sibling powers right there!

I will say that I found the ending anticlimactic of sorts. I also wish there was more of a discussion on how Ariel skipped reading the terms and conditions of the agreement she made with Ursula vs going the Ursula fully tricked her route. Sure, Ursula did trick her in some ways, but the first mistake Ariel made was signing a contract without reading the terms and conditions beforehand. That was her own fault even if Ursula in this story prefers to make deals with naïve folks.

All in all, I did enjoy the story, and I’ll have to check out the book it’s based on next. While I found the ending to be anticlimactic and was iffy on how Ariel still wasn’t taking full responsibility for signing a contract without reading it, the story itself is pretty good. I’m excited to see what kind of details and storylines didn’t make it into the graphic novel when I check out the novel! It’ll be exciting to see if we see more of Ariel’s sisters than we saw here as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment