Sunday, April 28, 2024

Clementine: Book One by Tillie Walden

 
Clementine: Book One by Tillie Walden
My Rating: ★★★★

Clementine is on the road and hoping to find somewhere she can live by herself in the first of a new trilogy series following this well-loved character. The best way to deal with trauma is to run away from it, or at least that’s what she thinks. Unfortunately, Clementine is about to learn that you can only run so far before things start to catch up to you.

I haven’t finished the game series yet, but I got so excited when I saw that there’s now a graphic novel, I had to start reading it right away. Plus, I’m a fan of Tillie Walden’s work, so I was really excited to see what they would be doing with the characters! We follow Clementine sometime after the game series ends. I can’t say how much time has passed between the games and this book since I haven’t finished playing the games yet, but we do eventually learn why Clementine decided to take off on her own.

During Clementine’s journey, we see her try her best not to stay anywhere too long so she doesn’t get attached to anyone. Fate has other plans, because she meets new people and begrudgingly gets attached to them as her own grief and trauma slowly catches up to her. While this is a series about survival, this volume has a lot of focus on trauma and attempting to figure out how to cope in a world that has completely fallen apart. I plan on finishing the games before reading the second book so that I won’t have any gaps in what happened before the trilogy starts. However, despite only being halfway through the games, I really enjoyed this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment