Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Barbarian Mine (Ice Planet Barbarians #4) by Ruby Dixon

 
Barbarian Mine by Ruby Dixon
My Rating: ★★★★

While being stuck on an ice planet isn’t what Harlow pictured for her future, it sure beats everything that was happening back on Earth. It’s why she doesn’t mind this very weird second chance at life thanks to the khui. However, being whacked in the head, knocked out, and carried off into the wilderness with the mystery man she’s resonating with is not what she signed up for.

I’ve been enjoying this series, but I think this is the first one that does not fall under humor at all. I was hoping we’d see the series swerve back in that direction, but here we are! That said, that doesn’t mean that this wasn’t a good book. It was also a really easy read. I meant to read a few chapters and next thing I knew, I had almost read half the book without realizing it! That’s how much of an easy read this one is.

This time around, we follow Harlow and a brand new character, Rukh. There were definitely some Tarzan elements to this one, as Rukh lost his parents and has been living in the harsh elements since he was a kid. It also makes communicating hard, since he’s been on his own for a very long time and hasn’t needed to speak to anyone. I had a pretty good idea of who he was after reading his first POV chapter. Needless to say, this installment was a very interesting read!

I absolutely loved following Harlow. She’s one of the few who looks at life with the khui as a second chance at life, and she has a very good reason for that. However, she’s not ready to get pregnant, and now that she’s resonated with her new mystery man… well. Obviously that throws everything out of whack! However, she’s rolling with the punches and putting every bit of the skills she learned to good use. I don’t know about you, but I would just be miserable and stop tanning hides once I had enough to be warm.

One of the things I loved most about this book is that we get to see a lot more of the ice planet. Rukh goes from cave to cave and doesn’t stay long, so he hasn’t really set down a home. Now that Harlow is with him, they need to prepare for the harsh winter, and that includes hiding from Vektal and company… so it’s time to travel. Who knew there’s an ocean on this ice planet?! I’m excited to see what else we’ll see as the series continues!

No comments:

Post a Comment