Saturday, January 27, 2024

A Night Like This (Smythe-Smith Quartet #2) by Julia Quinn

 
A Night Like This by Julia Quinn
My Rating: ★★★★

Anne Wynter once thought she was in love and on the cusp of engagement when her reputation was ruined by the very man she hoped to marry. Disowned by her family and forced to change her name, she’s lived a very lonely life knowing the very man who ruined her could be lurking around the corner. Anne has spent years trying to be the most unmemorable person one could meet, but Daniel Smythe-Smite knew it was love at first sight. Just as she’s finally letting herself enjoy life again, the person who turned her life upside down many years ago is determined to ruin her once again.

I finally got my hands on this book and read it ASAP. This time around, we follow Anne and Daniel through their rotating perspectives as they fall in love. Daniel falls in love at first sight, but he develops feelings to back up his initial instant love every second that he spends with Anne. On the other hand, Anne is trying her best to not develop any kind of feelings for Daniel. She’s jaded from her one experience with love that turned out to be one sided and with someone who just wanted to get under her skirts! It was really great to watch Anne find real love and find a family who cares for her as much as she cares for them.

I really enjoyed getting to see characters from the previous book, but the real star was the Smythe-Smith girls that Anne teaches! They made me wish I had sisters but also made me remember all the fun times I had growing up with my brothers. I love how close the Smythe-Smith family is and how much I could feel the caring warmth they have for each other coming through the pages. I also love how much they accept Anne into their family even before she officially becomes a family member.

I found Daniel and Anne to be interesting characters with their own back stories that bonds them together in ways neither of them expect. However, strangely enough, Hugh turns out to be far more interesting than either of them! That said, it doesn’t make this any less of a good read. I truly enjoyed following their story as well as seeing how the cookie crumbled in the end. Sure, it was a little fantastical at times, but not enough to make me unable to suspend belief. I really enjoyed reading their story and I’m looking forward to checking out the next book.

No comments:

Post a Comment