Tuesday, April 12, 2022

The Swarm (The Woods #2) by James Tynion IV, Michael Dialynas

 
The Swarm by James Tynion IV, Michael Dialynas
My Rating:
★★★

When a high school is transported from Milwaukee to an unknown location somewhere in the universe, everyone is left with questions that no one can answer. They’re all alone in this new world except for all the insects and animals they’ve never seen before… or so they thought.

I immediately had to pick up the second volume of this series because I needed to see where the story was going. While it’s not what I was expecting, it was nice to see the backstories of more characters. I’m not the biggest fan of the way the flashbacks were handled, but it’s more because they caught me off-guard than there being an issue with them. I simply was not expecting the volume to open with a flashback, so I was really thrown through a loop at first and wasn’t quite sure where the flashbacks were going the first two times they happened. That said, they were handled well and really made a difference in how well I knew the characters involved by the end of the volume.

I’m interested in getting to know more of the characters as the series continues, and I hope we eventually see what’s going on back on Earth. We’ve met some of the character’s family members through flashbacks, and it’d be nice to see what’s going with everyone and how an entire school vanishing in thin air is being handled. I’m also interested in learning more about the people who have been living on the moon the school has been transported to.

All in all, I think there’s a good chance this is going to be a good sci-fi series as I continue to read it. I’ve got my fingers crossed that we start to see even more sci-fi elements as time goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment