Monday, April 11, 2022

The Arrow (The Woods #1) by James Tynion IV, Michael Dialynas


The Arrow by James Tynion IV, Michael Dialynas
My Rating:
★★★

When a high school is transported from Milwaukee to somewhere in the galaxy, no one knows what’s going on. The entire school population is left in a chaotic mess complete with bizarre killer animals and insects. All anyone knows is this isn’t Milwaukee anymore, and help is not on the way.

I picked this up expecting a crazy sci-fi story and that’s exactly what I got. We follow a couple members of the school staff and a handful of students, giving us a good variety of perspectives after the entire school relocates to another moon. We’ve got people who think they know everything, those confused but feel like they need to do something, and many who are just sad and frightened.

While there’s a good variety of characters, there were three that irked me from the start: the mean teacher, one of the students working under him as school guards, and Adrian. The first two just had bad vibes from the start and only got worse to demonstrate the bad side of humanity. I can see why those two characters are there and they are meant to be disliked. However, Adrian is the classic character that thinks they’re the only one who knows what’s going on and what to do, which makes him extremely irritating. It seems like Adrien is going to have a large arc. I hope I don’t spend the entire time wishing he’d be written out.

Otherwise, I think it’s a great series opener. It’s fast paced, the artwork is stunning, and there’s a good amount of sci-fi and mystery aspects that are going to make me keep wanting to turn the page. I’m interested in seeing where this goes and if the characters we follow will expand as the story develops.

No comments:

Post a Comment