Wednesday, December 22, 2021

Blood Stain, Vol. 1 by Linda Šejić

 
Blood Stain, Vol. 1 by Linda Šejić
My Rating: ★★★

After spending two years bouncing from job to job, Elliot Torres is exhausted. She can’t keep a job for long, and her sister is getting really tired of it. Strapped for cash, Elliot knows she needs to get it together, especially when her mom gets out of the hospital. She can’t wait for the perfect job to come along… except that one job that sounds way too good to be true.

I recently read Punderworld, so I decided to check this out and see what it’s all about. We follow Elliot, a directionless woman who is looking for the perfect job with a boss who meets her expectations. Unfortunately for her, she’s either not a good fit or she finds something wrong and bows out early. The opening is quite hilarious as we see the different jobs Elliot’s had and why it didn’t work out. It’s mostly her, and her sister is not letting her get away with it because they don’t have the luxury to be picky.

I think Elliot is quite realistic while set in an unrealistic and entertaining situation as she takes the job no one else wants as an assistant to a an allegedly crazy scientist. I had a lot of fun reading this. The artwork is beautiful, and Elliot’s shenanigans are hilarious. While she’s quite flaky and directionless, I really like her. She’s funny, has heart, and means well.

I was not expecting the volume to end where it did since most of it was about all the different jobs and how Elliot finds herself working for Dr. Vlad Stein. When I reached the end, it felt more like it stopped in the middle of the volume. We get to know Elliot pretty well, but we briefly meet all of the other characters, so that felt a little odd as well. That said, I do like it and I’ve already got the second volume, so I’m excited to see where this goes now that the plot is getting rolling.

No comments:

Post a Comment