Friday, September 6, 2019

Killer Fashion: Poisonous Petticoats, Strangulating Scarves, and Other Deadly Garments Throughout History by Jennifer Wright

Killer Fashion by Jennifer Wright
My Rating: ★★★★

Jennifer Wright spotlights some of the deadly fashion practices throughout history because, even today, fashion has always had a deadly side. Covering everything from flammable clothes to killer hair dye, we get a quick overview of some of the deadliest fashions that is riddled through history.

I love when I come across books that cover some of the lesser talked about topics, so I was excited when I saw that Wright write a book about dangerous fashion practices. While it’s short and to the point, it does present several deadly cases can send readers off to research the fashionable items they didn’t know were deadly. I do think that some of the cases are reaching a bit, such as killer high heels, but I still found the book enjoyable. I also learned about a few items that I didn’t know existed, such as belladonna. I heard it referenced before, but I always thought it referred to a painting and not hazardous eye drops.

I do wish the book was longer and contained more information about each item and its history, but I don’t have any complaints. I was aware that it was going to be short and to the point when I saw the page count before picking up the book, so I didn’t go in expecting a very informative book. Because of the length and overall writing style, I think it’s a great introductory book for people who are looking to learn something new but also want that information condensed.

No comments:

Post a Comment