I received a copy from Avon through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Althea Leos, aka Thea, is extremely family oriented, and choosing to work on her thesis in Norway is something she struggles with. It doesn’t help that her prestigious thesis advisor immediately dumped her onto one of his colleagues. So what’s Thea going to do? Knock her thesis out of the park, join a local activist group, and develop feelings for the leader of the group! Only Thea isn’t sure what she really wants, and what was supposed to be a drunken apology turns into her stumbling into Asgard itself. Now she just has to pass a couple tests and prove that she won’t breathe a word about the gods being real, which is hard to do when she’s got a thing for both Thor and Loki!
I really liked this book, but I wasn’t sold on the romance plot at all. There was zero romantic chemistry unless things were starting to get a little spicy. Thea kept thinking about how she was trying to get her libido under control while it was off having a nice vacation. I do like that Thea, Thor, and Loki developed pretty good friendships. I just wasn’t seeing the romantic energy.
That said, I enjoyed reading the rest of the book. There’s a wonderful cast of characters, strong family bonds, and excellent worldbuilding. I really liked how the author made our climate change impact the Norse gods, which was a really interesting take on things that I hadn’t seen before. I just wish the story leaned more into this and less into the romance plot. I don’t know if this is the first book in a series, but it seemed like a series opener that could be left as a stand alone. If the story does continue, I will definitely check it out.

No comments:
Post a Comment