Wednesday, December 27, 2023

A Stitch in Time (A Stitch in Time #1) by Kelley Armstrong

 
A Stitch in Time by Kelley Armstrong
My Rating: ★★★

Bronwyn has a long history with Thorne Manor. She’s spent decades believing her closest friend and love of her life is a figment of her imagination because she was traveling to him through a stitch in time. Between the boy she loved, the ghost that scared her, and the tragic death of her uncle all being connected to Thorne Manor, she hasn’t been there in decades. Now that Bronwyn has inherited the property, she’s finding herself returning for the first time since she fled from a scary ghost. It turns out that William and the stitch in time are very real because she’s just woken up in his room. Now she gets a third chance at love with an old flame while discovering why the only ghosts she sees are all connected to William.

I really wanted to love this book, but it seemed like it was somehow doing too much and not enough at the same time. It doesn’t help that Bronwyn was kind of irritating to follow. It also didn’t get interesting until a smidge after the halfway point, which is odd because a time slip alone should’ve been quite interesting. However, it does have an interesting plot and some excellent characters. I also really liked the romance and thought it was cute and sweet.

While I didn’t care for Bronwyn, there were some characters I really liked. William is a sweet character, and I wish we were able to read the story from his perspective as well. It also would’ve helped a lot with developing the mystery. Freya was very sweet, caring, and funny. I loved her presence and how she became such a fast friend and confidant to Bronwyn. August was a delight and I wish we got to see him more than we did. I think August my be my favorite character, actually.

The mystery itself was very interesting, but not much happened with it for some time. It was more of a paranormal occurrence than mystery until later. I wish that more happened with the mystery in the past than in the present. Every time it progressed, it felt very sudden and didn’t always line up with the past.. I do think it was a cool concept and really like how it ultimately played out, though. That was probably the best part of the book and I was really hanging on every letter when things started really rolling on the mystery front.

I also think that the romance was very soft and sweet. Bronwyn and William have that genuine high school sweethearts kind of romance that feels very real in so many ways. They have excellent chemistry and I like how they always tried to really communicate and see where the other was coming from and how they felt. It’s not a romance that’s on fire and oozing with their romantic chemistry. It’s very soft and cute and makes you naturally want to root for them.

While I liked the story, I didn’t care for Bronwyn and the first half of the book moved way too slow for me. I think the mystery was the best part about the book, but that things didn’t always line up because of the time travel and lack of little clues that should’ve popped up here and there during the first half. I also think the romance was very soft, sweet, and cute and found the supporting characters very likable. I also think the story wraps up pretty well while leaving things open enough to let readers see how Bronwyn and William’s future unfolds. It feels like a stand alone book to me, and I’d be much more interested in the next book in the series if each book covered a different couple experiencing a stitch in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment