Sunday, January 2, 2022

BL Fans LOVE My Brother?! by Mimu Oyamada

 
BL Fans LOVE My Brother?! by Mimu Oyamada
My Rating: ★★★★

Kirika is just your average college freshman until she accidentally gets introduced into the world of fandom and fanart. Her older brother, Teruo, is a hut-in who hasn’t left their home for the last four years. If anything, he barely leaves his room. It turns out he’s Amaterasu, a popular boy’s love artist, and he needs help finishing up some panels of his fan comic before the deadline hits. Not only that, but he also needs Kirika to pose as the real-life Amaterasu at conventions. What is Kirika to do?

I picked this up expecting a fun book diving into the fandom world, and that’s exactly what I got. With the help of a little bribery in the form of top-quality meat for Kirika to cook with, these two siblings enter the convention world together. Poor Kirika had no idea about what fandom or fanart was before Teruo needed help, and now she’s found herself posing as a very popular artist for a fandom she’s not familiar with. Along the way, we see the two of them help each other out and watch Kirika discover a whole new world while Teruo slowly finds he’s able to leave home in small increments.

While the shenanigans that occur is exaggerated for fun, I had a good time reading this. It was interesting to see the character development for Kirika and her brother, but also see them meet new people and discover new parts of themselves. We didn’t see a whole lot of their parents, but I loved how supportive the two of them were even though it was more toward Teruo at first.

The artwork is beautiful and fun. I love how silly the panels got at all the right moments and found myself laughing hard at various moments of the story. This is certainly a fun take on sibling relationships as well as diving into the fandom world. I hope to see more from Mimu Oyamada in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment