Monday, February 8, 2021

The Witch and the Beast, Vol. 2 (The Witch and the Beast #2) by Kousuke Satake


 The Witch and the Beast, Vol. 2 by Kousuke Satake
My Rating: ★★★★★

After getting to the bottom of a case involving a seemingly murderous witch, Ashaf and Guideau are sent to investigate a new case involving feral undead folks. When it turns out that there has been a streak of feral undead turning up, they pass the case onto someone who specializes in necromancy, Phanora. Unfortunately for Phanora and her assistant, it appears that there is someone illegally reviving the dead before casting them off.

I was so absorbed by the first volume of this series that I knew I had to read more. Thankfully, it turned out that there’s a few volumes that have already been translated and released in English. While the first volume is an introduction into the world as well as Ashaf and Guideau’s ultimate goal, this volume allows us to learn a little about other members of the Order of Magical Resonance. We meet Phanora and her assistant, Johan, and watch them explore a taboo practice in this world: necromancy.

I was very interested in Phanora as well as the information on how necromancy works in this series. There was quite a bit of lore involved and it was extremely interesting as well as presented in a way that I haven’t seen before. I was also sad for some of the characters involved as we learned more about the drawbacks of becoming undead, but those are spoilers that I won’t share so that I don’t ruin the reveal for anyone reading this who decides to check out this series.

Of course, we didn’t follow Phanora the entire time as Ashaf and Guideau are the protagonists! The volume starts and ends with them in very different ways. We learn a little more about Ashaf and Guideau as people as well as how they operate. It was also neat to get another glimpse at what they get up to when they are not investigating a new case. Plus, I was fascinated by how they solved the case that left off in a cliffhanger in volume one.

I already have the third volume, so expect to see me reviewing that very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment