Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Moonstruck, Vol. 2: Some Enchanted Evening by Grace Ellis, Shae Beagle

Moonstruck, Vol. 2: Some Enchanted Evening by Grace Ellis, Shae Beagle
My Rating: ★★★

When Julie and her friends are invited to a party, the think it’ll be a great place to relax and have fun. Unfortunately for them, it turns out the party involves a fairy circle full of fraternity bros who end up trapping one of them. It’s up to Julie, Selena, and Chet to break their friend out and disengage from the fae politics they’ve been sucked into.

I thought the first volume was such a cute story that I was really excited to finally pick up this volume. Unfortunately for me, I didn’t enjoy it anywhere near as much as I thought I would. While I love that we got to see a relationship exit the honeymoon phase and hit a rough patch, I don’t think we’ve see Julie and Selena’s relationship progress enough to really buy that they could overcome this bump in the road. I know it’s a graphic novel, but I think we also needed to see more of a conversation about why Julie hadn’t shared her manuscript with her girlfriend. It came off as throwing a sad little band-aid because they allegedly bonded while lost in the fairy circle toward the end.

The more I read this, the more I wished we were following Chet and a few other characters because Julie and Selena’s part of the story just was not pulling me in. I also wish that we saw more of the fairy world before the issue was over because it seemed like we got sucked in and spit out for the fun of it. Plus, I was not a fan of the advice column pages at all. Just when I was getting into the story, it was taking completely out by these pages and they really didn’t add anything to the story.

That said, I do think that the other characters were wonderful. I was having a great time every time anyone but Julie and Selena were at the forefront of the story. While I think the fairies were extremely glossed over, I do think they were interesting and hope things make a little more sense on that front if we see them again.

As always, the artwork as absolutely stunning. Hopefully, my issues with this volume will dissolve when I start volume three.

No comments:

Post a Comment