Saturday, February 6, 2021

Bloom by Kevin Panetta

 
Bloom by Kevin Panetta
My Rating: ★★★★

Growing up working at his parent’s bakery, Ari can’t wait to take off and start his life in the big city with his friends and bandmates. He just needs to find someone to replace him so that he can convince his dad to let him quit and fulfill his dreams. That’s when Hector becomes a new employee at the bakery. The more time they spent together, the less Ari knows what he really wants to do.

This is such a sweet and heartwarming graphic novel following Ari as he figures out what he wants to do in life. When the story starts, he just wants to make his band happen when he and his friends move to the city. As the story progresses, it’s clear that he’s not really sure what he wants to do. I think this is very realistic because I know me and most of my friends didn’t really know what we wanted to do when high school ended either. For Ari, he’s expected to continue to work at his family’s struggling bakery since his parents can’t afford to send him off to study music in college like he wants. Unfortunately for Ari, he’s not interested in baking and keeping his parent’s bakery dream alive through him.

Everything slowly changes after he hires Hector, who is in town and away from studying to become a professional baker. The more time they spend together, the closer they get, and the more Ari slowly realizes he doesn’t know what he wants to do with his life. What he does know is that he’s developing feelings for his new friend and coworker, Hector, and misses him when he leaves town for a short period of time. The more they work together, the closer Ari is to figuring one thing out: he wants to be with Hector and sort everything else out after.

While I think this is a cute story, I didn’t like that there’s a few time jumps. I wish we got to see how the story would have progressed during these time jumps because it seemed like the characters were frozen in time. I also think that one of Ari’s friends isn’t a true friend, and I would’ve liked to have seen him come to that conclusion figure out whether or not he wants to keep him in his life.

That said, the artwork is nice and I loved seeing all the baking panels. I was surprised to find that there is a recipe at the end, which is a nice touch given the book surrounds a bakery. There is also some concept art at the end, which I always love. All in all, I think it’s a great read.

My review was originally found at Beachbum Bookworm where I was a guest book reviewer in 2020.

No comments:

Post a Comment