Friday, October 18, 2019

Huckleberry Hill (The Matchmakers of Huckleberry Hill #1) by Jennifer Beckstrand

Huckleberry Hill by Jennifer Beckstrand
My Rating: ★★★★

Lia Shetler has always come second best in her family. According to her father, there isn’t a man who wants a tall, homely wife. Raised to believe that she’ll never marry, she’s spent her life content to help her parents and make sure her younger, shorter, and beautiful sister is taken care of. That’s until Anna Helmuth gets it in her head that Lia would make a great wife of her grandson, Moses, who is hellbent on never marrying anyone but his childhood sweetheart and former fiancé. After traveling for an hour to get to Huckleberry Hill, Lia quickly discovers that love might be in the cards for her as she blossoms under Anna and her husband’s care.

Jennifer Beckstrand’s books were highly recommended by a friend, so I looked at her books and decided to pick this one up. Boy, am I glad that I read this! It’s such a perfect, light, and heartwarming read. There are some serious moments and a character who is a real pain in the butt, but all in all, it was a light read that’s also perfect for bedtime reading.

I absolutely love most of the characters. I wish I could hang out with Anna and her husband, Felty. They seem like such a sweet couple and an all-around great people that bring light wherever they go. Their grandson, Moses, is very sweet like his grandparents but stubborn to a fault just like his grandma. I loved following the three of these characters and seeing how much this family cares for each other even if they raise each other’s eyebrows from time to time.

Lia is a wonderful character that resonated with me. I know what it’s like to grow up believing you’re ugly and not good enough. While her life is very different from mine, I understand where she’s coming from and why she feels the way she does. While I don’t have any sisters, I totally understand what it’s like for her to have someone like her sister, Rachel, in her life. I grew up with the family favorite who is very much like Rachel to this day, and it took a long time for me to realize that I could step out of her shadow and stand up for myself just like Lia does. I loved following Lia and seeing her really grow as a person.

While this book is sweet and heartwarming, it’s also hilarious at times. Watching the types of shenanigans that unfold was hilarious at times. Plus, some of the character’s antics were realistic, eyeroll inducing, and even hilarious. I had a great time watching the way Anna and Felty react to Rachel when she takes their home by storm. Honestly, I’m surprised they didn’t give her the boot, but they were too nice for that.

I will be picking up the next book in the series in the near future. I want to see what Anna and Felty get up to next as Anna plots her next matchmaking scheme!

No comments:

Post a Comment