Friday, October 25, 2019

Class Reunions Are Murder (A Poppy McAllister Mystery #1) by Libby Klein

Class Reunions Are Murder by Libby Klein
My Rating: ★★★★★

Poppy McAllister is going through one of the worst periods of her life. Her husband passed away six months ago and she’s living on junk food and infomercials while hanging out with her at, Figaro. Just to top things off, she got a letter from her bully inviting her to a special meeting at their 25-year high school reunion. With no plans to attend her high school reunion, Poppy’s best friend calls on her to attend and give moral support because her ex-husband is going to be at the reunion. Poppy packs up, gets Figaro in the car, and makes her way back Cape May just in time for her bully to get murdered, and Poppy is the main suspect.

This book is, hands down, one of the funniest books I’ve read. Libby Klein had me laughing so many times that I had to take a short break from reading to collect myself a few times. I also like that Poppy is extremely relatable, especially as a fat lady, because I rarely come across realistic plus size characters. It’s so nice to see someone who looks like me as the protagonist of her own series. It’s even better when that character isn’t just the comedy relief or a big dummy.

There are so many great characters in this book. I particularly enjoyed Aunt Ginny and her group of friends. Not only is Ginny a hoot, but she’s also extremely caring and thoughtful. I wish I had a cool aunt like her. She’s also got a great group of friends who are almost equally funny and caring. Poppy’s group of friends from high school are also wonderful and hilarious. I can’t wait to learn more about them in future books.

Of course, there are the terrible characters that we love to hate, especially Barbie. Sadly, I think we all have had a Barbie in our lives at some point, so it was understandable for Poppy to want nothing to do with her and her group of friends who also bullied Poppy and her friends. It certainly makes the murder mystery aspect of the story interesting because Barbie has a long list of enemies. I was convinced that one of Barbie’s former friends, Amber, was the killer from early on because she was so quick to point the finger at Poppy and not look elsewhere.

All in all, this is a wonderful book and I have already picked up the second installment.

No comments:

Post a Comment