Sunday, August 23, 2026

The Exquisite Torment of Loving Your Enemy (Dearly Beloathed #2) by Brigitte Knightley

The Exquisite Torment of Loving Your Enemy by Brigitte Knightley
My Rating: ★★★★

When Osric finds out he’s in need of some specialized healing, he manages to bribe Aurienne to let him be her experiment. What the unlikely duo never expected was for this experimental healing to actually start to work, or that they would fall for each other along the way. While Osric and Aurienne avoid sorting out their feelings, they also begin to look for who is behind the pox outbreak. Something weird is going on and lives are at risk, especially if Aurienne and Osric get caught!

While I enjoyed the first book, it wasn’t exactly my favorite. However, I liked it enough that I was really looking forward to reading this when it dropped. I’m excited to say that I ended up loving it! We follow Aurienne and Osric through their rotating perspectives as they fall in love and prepare for a war they just discovered is coming. The romance itself was a pretty slow burn at first. I was pleasantly surprised when it eventually began picking up speed and busted a move from that point forward. I think my favorite part about this romance is the emotional connection between Aurienne and Osric. This is my favorite type of romance, but it also made a lot of sense for the characters.

I also really liked the world building and getting to know some of the other characters more. Plus, the humor cracked me up this time around, which I really enjoyed since some of the humor in the previous book felt forced. That said, I did reach the end of the book and felt like the story was a little incomplete. I don’t think it’s actually incomplete, but that we spent so much time leading up to the start of the war only for the story to wrap up seemingly early into that plot point. 

Overall, I really enjoyed reading this enough that I will likely reread it in the near future. The romance and humor went hard this time around, but the emotional connection was really top tier. I do wish we saw more of the supporting characters, and I don’t think we needed all three epilogues, but I ended up really loving the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment