As the eldest daughter of a count, Cordelia grew up with a very strict education befitting her family’s status. Unfortunately, she also grew up in the shadow of her extremely spoiled younger sister, Priscilla. The sisters couldn’t be any more different, and their parents are too busy doting on Priscilla to notice that their entire family’s reputation is in the trash. Priscilla has always taken anything her older sister likes, but even Cordelia was stunned when she discovered that included each of her fiances! Four broken engagements later, Cordelia is resigned to life as a spinster. What she didn’t expect was to accidentally catch the eye of Prince Leonhard!
I picked this up looking for a semi-light read and got sucked in right away. We follow Cordelia as her latest fiance is about to leave her for her younger sister. At this point, she’s accepted life as it’s always been for her. She’s carrying a lot of hurt, trauma, anger, and resentment thanks to the way her parents and sister have treated her for a long time. Cordelia’s healing journey hasn’t begun yet, and I think a lot of people will be able to relate to her feelings and responses to both positive and negative attention.
Despite the heavy layers to the story, the author balances it out with their world building, a touch of humor, and positive characters and plots. It may not have been the light read I was expecting, but I really enjoyed it. There’s an excellent cast of characters, and Prince Leonhardt crashes into the picture with a positive force. He’s also got the heart of a lion. Literally! Their interactions also bring in some hilarious moments that had me cracking up.
All in all, I’m looking forward to picking up the next volume. I really liked the characters, the world-building was excellent, it has a lot more depth than I was expecting. Plus, the artwork was beautiful and really helped bring the story to life.

No comments:
Post a Comment