Monday, October 23, 2023

Every Gift a Curse (All Our Hidden Gifts #3) by Caroline O'Donoghue


Every Gift a Curse by Caroline O'Donoghue
My Rating: ★★★★

Now that Maeve and her friends sealed the well to protect it and the magic it holds from the Children of Brigid, they’re dealing with the aftermath. Two people died in the process and it looks extremely suspicious that Maeve just happened to inherit the school and the land it sits on. Maeve is feeling more lonely than ever, especially now that even her parents are afraid of her. As Maeve and her friends wait for the Housekeeper to appear again, they watch the cracks in their relationships get bigger just when they need each other the most.

While I’m sad that the series is now over, I am happy to see it come to an end while it’s still on top. That said, I tried to read it as slowly as possible because I wasn’t ready to end. The only problem is that it was so good that I also didn’t want to put the book down, so reading it slowly was truly a struggle.

One of the things I love so much about this book is that it’s ultimately a story about friendship. We watch Maeve and her friends go through so many different experiences and see them grappling with new traumas. Through it all, they always have each other even when they are fighting, experiencing jealousy, and sometimes not even speaking. We watch them fracture and come back together stronger than before. Then you throw some paranormal elements in and a cult, and you’ve got an excellent book with every single thing these characters go through sitting straight under a magnifying glass.

Without spoiling anything, there were things I saw coming and a few wild twists. I particularly love how Maeve and her friends come back together all the way throughout the end. I was expecting the ending, but I was also expecting a little more before the final chapter ended. However, I’m very satisfied with the ending. If anything, it’s probably the best way things could’ve gone! Though, I do have a few questions, but they’re all things left for us to come to our own conclusions on and I really like that.

I was also really excited to see how the Housekeeper began and how everything made sense going all the way back to the first book. There are a few things that weren’t quite wrapped up that are leftover from the second book, but I think I’m okay with those few things and how they impacted one or two of the characters seem to have been forgotten between the ending of one book and the beginning of another. I think I can forgive those few loose ends because, overall, the entire series is excellent and there’s very few things that stick out as odd. I’m excited to see what O'Donoghue comes up with in the future because this entire series is truly top tier.

No comments:

Post a Comment