Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Electric Idol (Dark Olympus #2) by Katee Robert

 
Electric Idol by Katee Robert
My Rating: ★★★★

After many years in Olympus, Psyche has learned to play the game well. Unfortunately for her, things go awry after she helps Eros treat his injuries. Photographs tell a story that doesn’t exist, and that story makes Psyche and Eros look like they’re having a secret romance right under Aphrodite and Demeter’s noses. When Aphrodite orders her son to deliver Psyche’s heart, Eros comes up with a plan on the spot: marry Psyche and anger his mother all while saving Psyche’s life. Things don’t go according to plan, but Eros does metaphorically take Psyche’s heart as they fall in love… for real.

I can officially say I’ve read the book my friend gave me, and I liked it better than the first book in the series! This time around, we follow Psyche and Eros through their rotating perspectives as they slowly fall in love while trying to save her from Aphrodite. It’s an interesting plot, that’s for sure, but it was a blast to read. I also found Psyche and Eros believable as a couple unlike the previous book where Persephone and Hades didn’t have much chemistry. Psyche and Eros were on fire the second they were alone together for the first time. The chemistry was just sizzling off the pages!

I really enjoyed the plot and seeing how Katee continues to modernize the myths. Psyche is an influencer who knows that image and perception is everything. It was fun to see her craft the image she and Eros were going for and watch Eros be amazed as she set up the lighting and posed them for pictures. Meanwhile, Eros has mostly stayed out of the spotlight so it’s his first big experience having that spotlight straight on him in a fake marriage.

The cast of characters continued to expand, and I enjoyed seeing some of the characters we got to know in the previous book make an appearance again. We didn’t learn a whole lot on the world building front this time, but that’s fine. I am looking forward to seeing how some of the more fantasy elements take hold in this world, but I don’t think it’s time yet. The main theme this time around, outside of the romance of course, was family as we looked at the major differences between Eros and Psyche’s upbringing. It’s great to see Eros discover that he has a family he created in place of the ice cold family he grew up with. I love when books have found families. 

Above all, I’m really excited about checking out the next book in the series. I also see that there’s a novella following Medusa, and I must say that I am very interested in checking that out as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment