Sunday, March 5, 2023

Amari and the Great Game (Supernatural Investigations #2) by B.B. Alston

 
Amari and the Great Game by B.B. Alston
My Rating: ★★★★★

Just as Amari Peters thinks things are finally going well for the long-run, someone freezes time, and now it’s all out war against magicians like herself. Now it’s up to Amari and her friends to figure out who froze time and how while under the new Head Minister’s prejudiced thumb. As if things couldn’t get more stressful, Amari also has to deal with The Great Game, which will leave the loser without their magic. What is Amari to do as the clock ticks faster?

I absolutely love this series. I couldn’t wait to start the second installment and I was glued to every single page from the second I started the first chapter. This time around, we follow Amari and her friends as she’s getting ready to start her second year as an agent in training. Of course, things can never go well for long, and Amari is faced with one stressful summer as people continue to try to paint her as being secretly evil and out to get everyone. Along the way, we watch her and Elsie face their first major friend fight as well as see people continue to pick sides as the new Head Minister makes things harder and harder for Amari.

First off, I absolutely love the relationships throughout the series. Amari and her family have such strong relationships and it’s so wonderful to see them continue to strengthen, but it’s also great to see her friendships strengthen as they overcome their first major hurdles. Amari and Elsie’s friendship is now among my favorite friendships I’ve seen in a book. I also really enjoyed seeing how much Amari and other friends interact, including an old face I won’t mention due to the risk of spoilers.

It was also exciting to see the supernatural world continue to expand. It was neat to see new things emerge, friendly and not so friendly characters with interesting abilities emerge, and watch this entire world continue to expand as the book continued. The ending of the book didn’t go as predicted, but I mean that in a good way. I love how there are always twists and turns in this series, and some aren’t predictable but make complete sense to the story and make things interesting. While it appears this series will be a trilogy, I’m still excited for the final book to come out sometime this year even though it is most likely the final book in the series. I look forward to following Amari and company in the interesting and thrilling conclusion of the series even though I’ll be sad when it comes to an end.

No comments:

Post a Comment