Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Romancing Mister Bridgerton (Bridgertons #4) by Julia Quinn


Romancing Mister Bridgerton by Julia Quinn
My Rating:
★★★

Penelope Featherington remembers the exact moment she fell in love with Colin Bridgerton. It wasn’t exactly romantic, but it was hilarious, and she had been madly in love with him every day going forward. Unfortunately for her, Colin did not feel the same way. She was merely his sister’s best friend, a wallflower dressed badly by her mother, and eventually just a spinster. Everything changes when Penelope finds herself in the room with Colin’s travel journal, a fateful moment that reveals there’s a lot more than meets the eye for both Penelope and Colin.

Told in the usual rotating perspectives, we follow Penelope and Colin as they get to know each other on a deeper level. The pair find themselves slowly entering a whirlwind romance that surprises everyone, but not as much as it surprises the two involved. It was fun seeing all the secrets Penelope and Colin have been carrying around slowly get revealed. I was extremely excited to see Penelope finally get to live out her own dreams, especially when she falls deeper in love with Colin as he finds himself falling in love with her.

While I’ve been enjoying the series, I am surprised to say that this is my least favorite so far. Penelope spends a lot of time lamenting about not knowing things about Colin like she hadn’t been in love with only the side he presents to the public all along. I laughed every time she was shocked to learn that he has secrets and a temper. For someone as smart as she is, it just made me crack up that she was so surprised when it was impossible for her to know anything that knowing someone through polite society interactions wouldn’t allow. Plus, the romantic chemistry between Penelope and Colin was just not there for me. Nothing was sizzling between them, which is a shame because they really do make a cute couple.

However, I did enjoy following Penelope and wished the big Whistledown reveal wasn’t so lackluster. It felt like it was something that happened organically and then little hints got sprinkled in during the editing process. I find it hard to believe that Penelope would think of Whistledown as an entirely separate person even in her own thoughts until later. I just wish it was handled better. It also would’ve been fun to see her in action during her chapters before the big reveal, so it really was a wasted opportunity.

All in all, I did enjoy the book and loved seeing all my favorite characters come to life again. I’m looking forward to reading the next book, especially after reading the second epilogue.

No comments:

Post a Comment