Wednesday, September 8, 2021

The Demon in the Wood (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy #0.5) by Leigh Bardugo

 
The Demon in the Wood by Leigh Bardugo
My Rating:
★★★★★

In this short story, we get a glimpse into who the Darkling and Baghra were and how they lived long before the series starts. It was quite interesting to see these characters at a completely different time in their lives, especially the Darkling. It takes place long before he was as jaded and evil as he was when we saw him in the series. The loneliness of never having any friends for long, constantly on the move, living in fear, and living under a variety of fake names with fake life stories was depicted flawlessly. 

It was really neat to see Baghra long before she was cooped up in her unbearably hot home teaching Grisha how to use their abilities. Baghra definitely had the same sharp tongue and attitude, but she seemed softer yet fierce in a completely different way here. I could see that the bond she had with her son was an incredible one, which makes their future as mother and son even more bleak than I previously thought. 

I became so absorbed in the story that I was sad when I got to the end. While I enjoyed the series, I found this prequel far more interesting. I honestly wish we had gotten a prequel series following the pair during this period of their lives up until the Darkling took the path he did. If this short story was ever expanded into a full-length novel, I would be all over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment