Monday, September 14, 2020

Chasing American Monsters: Over 250 Creatures, Cryptids & Hairy Beasts by Jason Offutt


Chasing American Monsters: Over 250 Creatures, Cryptids & Hairy Beasts by Jason Offutt
My Rating: ★★★★

Cataloging the monster sightings across America, Jason Offutt provides a comprehensive list of monsters organized by state. In this book, you will find anything from the many Bigfoot sightings to mysterious lake monsters and human sized talking cockroaches. Not one to skip over hoaxes, Offutt also includes monster sightings that are known hoaxes and notes which monsters are confirmed hoaxes. This book is sure to make a fascinating read whether or not you are a believer.

I picked up this book because I’ve always been fascinated by the different monsters and creatures that have been sighted over the years. When I started reading, I didn’t realize how many different monsters that are allegedly all over the states! While some creatures, such as Bigfoot, are well known, there are others that I have never heard of. I know I have never heard of the human sized talking cockroaches. Are those real? Who knows, but I certainly hope not!

I loved reading about all the various beings, like the Menehune in Hawaii and the Batsquatch in Washington. It was interesting to learn about the different sightings reported all over the states that include vampires and mysterious lake monsters. I also liked that Offutt noted when a monster sighting was a confirmed hoax while the others are up in the air, so people can choose to decide how real or fake the sightings are.

The book is organized very well. The states are listed alphabetically, and the monsters are listed on a state by state basis. The Bigfoot sightings did get a bit redundant after a while since they’ve been reported in most states. I was more surprised when a Bigfoot wasn’t listed among a state’s monsters. While the layout of the book worked very well, its only downfall was the sheer amount of Bigfoot sections.

Otherwise, I think it was a great book that gives a little information on each monster. I don’t think this was meant to be an extremely detailed list of monsters, but more of a monster encyclopedia, so don’t expect lengthy descriptions on each creature mentioned.

No comments:

Post a Comment