Tuesday, July 14, 2020

The Great Witches Baking Show (Great Witches Baking Show #1) by Nancy Warren

The Great Witches Baking Show by Nancy Warren
My Rating: ★★★★★

Poppy Wilkinson has landed herself a spot on The Great British Baking Contest. While it would be lovely to win, and the exposure from being on the show is bound to be great for her, she has her own reasons for becoming a contestant. You see, Poppy was abandoned when she was a baby. The show gives her a chance to sneak her way into Broomewode Hall and check out something she recognized: the pattern on her baby blanket in one of their old paintings. Unfortunately for Poppy, her past isn’t the only mystery on the baking show. One of the contestants is being sabotaged and when they turn up dead on set, their unfortunate demise becomes the most important mystery to solve.

When I saw this series, I knew I had to read it. It sounded right up my alley and the perfect kind of fluffy book until you get to the murder mystery. I’m happy to say that I was not disappointed. This book has a great cast of characters, majority of which seem like sweet and wonderful people. Poppy is such a fun and sweet character. I related to her worries about being on camera and the nervousness about baking on camera. I would be going through the same thing if I was in her shoes. I can also see why the characters began to develop friendships with one another so fast because they seem like cool people I’d love to meet.

The book has two mysteries. The main one is Poppy’s background and how that connects to the supernatural world that she’s a member of, which is the mystery that will continue throughout the series. I think that there was a great introduction to the supernatural world, but I do with there was more than what we got. The second mystery is the murder, which takes a bit of time before it starts but is well thought out and I didn’t catch on to the killer until a bit before they were revealed.

All in all, I think this is a great book that’s fun and entertaining. I’m looking forward to seeing how Poppy and company develop as the series continues and the baking competition starts to get hot. I’m also looking forward to seeing how big the supernatural community is and what else Poppy can do as the series continues. It’s also neat that there’s a recipe at the end, so I’m excited to see what other recipes will pop up since I love baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment