Monday, July 22, 2019

Bewitched and Betrothed (A Witchcraft Mystery #10) by Juliet Blackwell

Bewitched and Betrothed by Juliet Blackwell
My Rating: ★★★★

When Maya asked Lily to look at an old Alcatraz prison uniform and see if she can confirm its legitimacy, Lily never expected the uniform to open a can of worms. Not only is the uniform legitimate, but the vibrations are extremely bad, so Lily tones down its energy so that it can go up on display. All seems well until Elena, Carlos Romero’s cousin, is abducted with the uniform in hand. Lily gets investigating and discovers that things are far worse than anyone could’ve imagined. A powerful demon that Lily thought she’d never have to go up against is back and she’s going to need every ally at her back to face him again.

I have been a fan of this series since the first book was published, so I couldn’t wait to get my hands on the latest installment. While this book isn’t among my favorites of the series, it’s still pretty good. One of the things that I love about this series is that the storytelling is still going strong 10 books in, which is a great accomplishment. It’s not boring and it doesn’t show any signs of starting to falter. If anything, it’s building up and packing more punches than ever.

This time around, Lily becomes involved in a series of mysteries that are all connected to Alcatraz. As a California native, Alcatraz does have a mysterious allure… not that Lily sees it that way. She doesn’t want anything to do with Alcatraz, but fate has other plans for her. Going against every warning bell in her body, Lily stands tall and makes her way to Alcatraz only to discover that an old foe is waiting for her.

I absolutely love that we got to spend some time with Lily’s grandmother, Graciela, and her coven in addition to her mother. I wish that we got to spend more time with them, but there were more important things going on. Graciela and her coven are a trip. I know they’re fictional characters, but I just want to hang out with them. We saw a little less of Lily’s mom but I’m also glad that they’re mending their burnt bridge.

It was also great to see Lily become more involved with Sailor’s family as she gets closer to her handfasting with Sailor. Of course, she and Sailor continue to bicker instead of talking until later in the book. I always wondered how long their relationship will last with the amount of bickering and the lack of serious relationship conversations, so we’ll see how that goes. I did like that they took two steps forward together, which makes me feel more positive about their handfasting. Of course, I still remember when they first got together, much to their surprise, so it is great to see them going somewhat strong.

As always, I’m excited to see where the story will take us next, especially after Lily’s latest showdown with some powerful foes. It was great seeing the supernatural community unite. It’s a glimpse at what is to come and just how powerful Lily and her allies are together.

No comments:

Post a Comment