Friday, May 24, 2019

Legendary Ladies by Ann Shen

Legendary Ladies by Ann Shen
My Rating: ★★★★★

Continuing to read more books on badass women in history, I knew I had to pick up this book on Goddesses. Covering goddesses from all over the world, Ann tells us where they’re from, their origin story, and what they stand for. Plus, we get some beautiful artwork depicting each goddess at the end of their story.

One of the things that I love about this book is that it covers goddesses from all over the world rather than just Roman and Greek goddesses. Don’t get me wrong. I love Roman and Greek goddesses as well, but we often get a sample of Greek and Roman mythology rather than expanding and covering other cultures. Based on the cover and the synopsis, I knew we were going to finally get a good variety when I picked up this book.

I also love that this the perfect book to introduce kids to mythology. It’s kid friendly, has beautiful artwork, and will inspire kids to look more into mythology during and after reading. Of all the chapters, there is one chapter that is not kid friendly, so I recommend screening the book beforehand since there isn’t a trigger warning at the beginning of that particular chapter.

The only thing that I didn’t like is that it’s encouraged to call on each goddess for a particular reason (fertility, inspiration, etc) at the end of each chapter. It’s not something that I would recommend because you shouldn’t call on a deity you don’t worship for help. Otherwise, it’s a great book and I highly recommend picking it up and adding it to your book collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment