Sunday, April 7, 2019

Dial M for Mousse (An Emergency Dessert Squad Mystery #3) by Laura Bradford

Dial M for Mousse by Laura Bradford
My Rating: ★★★

When Winnie gets called for a rescue delivery from the owner of an artists’ retreat, she’s excited to put together a series of desserts for a group of performers s. However, things go awry when the delivery is over, and she stumbles upon the body of her newly dead client. To top things off, her personal life is in shreds when she accidentally hurts some feelings of a close friend and her boyfriend is barely touching base. Determined to bake her way through her personal woes, Winnie throws herself into work… and a murder investigation.

I absolutely love this series. The characters are quirky and fun, and the desserts always sound tasty. Sadly, Winnie was down in the dumps from the start, but it somehow made the entire story drag along. Even though it was chugging along, it was still charming, and I enjoyed watching the characters interact with each other. It’s so much fun because I feel like I learn a little bit more about the cast of characters with each book even though I’ve been following them since day one. It keeps things fresh while remaining realistic.

It’ll be interesting to see how Winnie’s relationship with Jay’s daughter progresses from here. I understand her jealous response to her dad hitting the dating scene for the first time in her life, but she’s really getting on my last nerve. I’m glad that Winnie and Jay plan to try and get through her shenanigans together, but I have to say that it was a real delight when Winnie met one of her friends and they got to see that Winnie isn’t some vile person. I hope that she matures as the books progress. She may be a teenager, but she’s old enough to know that there’s a thin line between respectfully hating someone and just being vile herself.

All in all, I had fun reading this installment. I’m interested in seeing what mysteries Laura Bradford will cook up for the next book and where the characters will go from here. Winnie and company are just one big mostly happy family and I enjoy reading about their lives and adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment