Thursday, March 28, 2019

Blackberry Burial (A Berry Basket Mystery #2) by Sharon Farrow

Blackberry Burial by Sharon Farrow
My Rating: ★★★★★

While tourist season is booming, Marlee is busy between her berry business and helping with the annual road rally. A wrench is thrown into everyone’s plans when the location of the road rally starting point is suddenly up in the air. Marlee finds herself surveying a potential property when she stumbles upon the skeletal remains of an unknown poor soul. Determined to stay out of things, Marlee finds herself knee deep in the murder mystery and on the run for her life.

After reading the series opener, I knew I had to get my hands on the second installment right away. I quickly found myself entertained and ready to continue reading any time I had to put the book down. The book is filled with fun characters, jokes, delicious sounding food, and a big mystery that Marlee just can’t stay away from.

I love Marlee and the people she surrounds herself with. While she was extremely busy between running her business and getting to the bottom of the mystery, I wish that we spent a little more time with her out of town friends. Otherwise, I can’t think of a complaint or even a downside to the story. It’s gripping and full of fascinating to heartwarming characters that just makes the book feel like a home away from home.

On the romance front, I don’t see Marlee getting married to her fiancé, Ryan. I didn’t get a strong feeling about their romance in the first book, and the longer we get to know him, the more I can’t see the relationship working out in the long run. Don’t get me wrong; he’s a sweet guy. However, he’s got a mean jealous streak, is very stuck in his ways, and unwilling to compromise. I could see if he and Marlee saw eye to eye about their future plans, but Marlee is feeling iffy about a few things that he expects to happen in their future married life and he’s not budging. Basically, I don’t see them making it down the isle unless he becomes more willing to hear her out so they can both work toward meeting somewhere in the middle.

That said, I’m excited that things are looking hopeful with Kit Holt. Marlee doesn’t seem like the kind of person to cheat on her significant other, but I can see them getting together if things don’t work out with Ryan. Hell, if the books were real and nothing more than a friendship bloomed between the pair, I’d take Kit off her hands. He’s a real catch!

The murder mystery itself was interesting and its resolution was a wild ride. Literally. That is the most action-packed scene I’ve seen in a book in a long time. I found myself letting out a nervous laugh like I was in the car with Marlee and company while they were trying to stay alive and get to safety. It’s completely fictional but phew. I felt like I was sitting in the car with them! All in all, I highly recommend the series!

No comments:

Post a Comment