Wednesday, July 24, 2024

Midnight Ruin (Dark Olympus #6) by Katee Robert

 
Midnight Ruin by Katee Robert
My Rating: ★★★

Between her extremely powerful mother and now equally powerful sisters, Eurydice has lived a very sheltered life. Her ex’s betrayal was the beginning of seeing and experiencing things out of her family’s control, and while that left her heartbroken, she’s ready to step out of the shadows and prove herself. Unfortunately for Eurydice, she’s picked one hell of a time to enter the political realm. It’s a good thing she has backup in the form of her best-friend turned boyfriend and her ex.

I’ve been enjoying this series, which is why I was a little sad that I wasn’t crazy about this book. We follow Eurydice, Charon, and Orpheus through their rotating perspectives in what could’ve been a thrilling throuple. Charon and Orpheus had excellent chemistry while Eurydice didn’t have chemistry with anyone. I could’ve lived with that if Eurydice wasn’t getting on my last nerve. I think she was trying too hard to prove herself while showing just how naive she truly is. I feel like the story kind of steamrolled past this in the long run because every risk she took panned out. I would’ve liked to have seen some things not play out how she intended at least once since she was running on a combo of stubbornness and arrogance.

That said, I did really like following Charon and Orpheus. I think they’re both interesting characters with two totally different experiences in life. I also enjoyed learning more about how Olympus runs, especially regarding the mysterious barrier that’s falling. I also liked getting a glimpse at who has been working behind the scenes and has been a big player in the shadows. It’s made me interested in checking out the next book despite not being totally happy with this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment