Tuesday, May 14, 2024

When a Girl Loves an Earl (Rescued from Ruin #5) by Elisa Braden

When a Girl Loves an Earl by Elisa Braden
My Rating: ★★★

James Kilbrenner may have inherited his title by surprise, but he quickly embraced it once he saw the people living on his new lands. They remind him of the home he’s left, and now he’s determined to do right by these people. Unfortunately for him, his genuine attitude and hardworking ways have caught the eye of Viola Darling. James has no desire to marry thanks to a tragedy in his past, but Viola is not one to take no for an answer. Now he’s trying to outrun the woman who is determined to capture his hand in marriage.

I’ve been enjoying this series so it was a little bit of a surprise that the romance itself is a miss for part of the book. We follow James and Viola through their rotating perspectives and I couldn’t find an ounce of chemistry between them until a little over halfway into the story. Viola is in lust with the idea of James, and James is apparently in lust with her while pining after his first love. Honestly, I was really surprised when a spark of romance finally began. I was also glad because I knew they would have a happily ever after, and I couldn’t buy that if they didn’t have any chemistry to back up all the love they’d eventually find with each other.

That said, I did really enjoy the story even in the first half of the book. I loved that it was Viola who was pursuing James rather than the other way around. It was a refreshing turn of events, and I hope to see more books from the author that flips things on its head like this. The story also has an excellent cast of characters. It’s always a delight when Lady Wallingham turns up. Well, maybe not for the other characters, but she certainly is entertaining as well as a force to be reckoned with!

While I didn’t care for the romance itself for much of the book, I still enjoyed the story because Elisa is an excellent writer. The story has great characters, let’s us see a woman chase after a male character rather than the other way around, and the budding romance that starts much later in the book makes up for the lack of chemistry early on. I’m excited to check out the next book!

No comments:

Post a Comment