Thursday, March 7, 2024

The Sum of All Kisses (Smythe-Smith Quartet #3) by Julia Quinn

 
The Sum of All Kisses by Julia Quinn
My Rating: ★★★★

Hugh Prentice’s life turned upside down the second a duel went awry. He doesn’t hold anyone but himself responsible for it, but his leg has made life difficult for him ever since. He knows that no woman will ever want him, not that he has plans to marry. It would certainly put a damper on the deal he made with his dad to keep Daniel Smythe-Smith alive and well. Now that Hugh is attending two weddings back to back, he finds himself spending a lot of time with Daniel’s cousin, Sarah. The pair irritate the living daylights out of each other, but it’s nothing compared to the lust that’s quickly filling in. Too bad Hugh knows that someone of Sarah’s status would never want him… at least, that’s what he believes.

I’ve been enjoying this series, and I thought Hugh was an interesting character in the previous book, so of course I was excited to read this. This time around, we follow Hugh and Sarah though through their rotating perspectives as they go from hating each other to falling in love. I found Sarah to be extremely irritating in the early chapters, but things picked up and everything started to fall into place. I ultimately really liked Sarah!

I particularly enjoyed all the hilarious antics between the Smythe-Smiths that would probably drive some people nuts, but I loved it. The younger Smythe-Smiths remind me of my childhood and running around with my brothers and cousins. Julia really has sibling and cousin relationships nailed down perfectly! Anyone who knows me knows that I love reading excellently written friendships, so I always enjoy seeing the friendships between the Smythe-Smiths, even when they’re irritating each other.

Of course, Hugh and Sarah are the stars of this book, and they were so much fun to follow. While I thought Sarah was rather irritating in the early chapters, things fell into place and I really enjoyed following her. I found the romance between her and Hugh to be believable, and it was fun watching them slowly fall for each other and then realize that’s what was happening. I do think that Sarah was a little out of character at one point toward the end of the book, and it’s a pretty major scene too, but I think I can live with that.

All in all, I really enjoyed reading this. It was a good mixture of hilarious, soft, and sometimes sad. The characters were excellent, so I’m interested in continuing to see where the series goes from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment