Sunday, September 10, 2023

Desperately Seeking a Scoundrel (Rescued from Ruin #3) by Elisa Braden

 
Desperately Seeking a Scoundrel by Elisa Braden
My Rating: ★★★

Sarah Battersby is in a bit of a bind. In an attempt to escape an unwanted marriage with a creepy suiter who keeps ignoring her blatant disinterest in him, she claimed she’s already engaged. The only problem? Not only is Sarah not engaged, but there isn’t a single other suiter in sight! Then Colin Lacey entered the picture. He may be bruised and battered, but he’s the perfect person to pretend is her betrothed. Now she just has to get him on the same page as her before he flees the area before he’s caught by the man he’s running from.

I’ve been loving this series and was so excited to start this one. Colin? Finally falling in love? I had to see this in action! Unfortunately, this turned out to be my least favorite in the series, but it doesn’t mean it was a bad book! It’s just as fun and enjoyable as the previous books in the series. Sarah and Colin just didn’t draw me in that much. I actually felt that Colin didn’t seem himself for the majority of the book, which is part of why I just couldn’t get drawn as much as I was in the previous books. I also found that I was far more interested in the supporting characters than I was with Sarah. I just found them more lively and interesting than her, which is why I’m excited to see one of the newer supporting characters get their own book in the future!

That said, there was some good stuff about this book! I really enjoyed the world building as well as meeting newer characters. It was also really exciting to see some of my old favorites make an appearance! I liked learning more about Colin’s background and how he and his siblings reacted so differently to how their father treated them. One of the things I like about Colin is that he doesn’t make excuses for his actions, nor is he looking for forgiveness. He’s taken that guilt and is using it to become a better person. It’s something that’s rare to see, even in reality!

Overall, the story is pretty good. The romance wasn’t fire like it usually is, and I had a hard time believing the two of them were in love, but it was still good. I loved meeting some of the new characters, one of which I recognized as someone who will have their own book in the future. I highly recommend checking it out, but I will say that there are some trigger warnings for this book that do not apply to the previous ones. The opening of the book has a short torture scene and there are two sexual assault scenes later in the book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment