Tuesday, July 4, 2023

Ever Yours, Annabelle (Rescued from Ruin #0.5) by Elisa Braden


Ever Yours, Annabelle by Elisa Braden
My Rating: ★★★★

Annabelle Huxley has always lived and breathed all things Robert Conrad. After an unfortunate accident caused by her own recklessness, Robert was left with a shattered body and a very difficult recovery. Life as he had known it was over, and it led him to banning Annabelle’s name from even being mentioned in his presence. After seven hard years, Annabelle is on the market for a husband, but the only man she’s willing to marry is the one person who wants absolutely nothing to do with her. It’s just her luck that she’s been given a very special assignment this season: help Robert find a suitable spouse. Of course, there’s no way in hell she’s going to help him marry anyone but her!

I decided to start this series with the prequel and I have to say that I’m very happy with that decision. We follow Annabelle and Robert through their rotating perspectives starting with the accident that changed their lives. Fast-forward to their present and we’ve got two people on the market for marriage. Annabelle has turned her nose up to legitimate potential husbands because they’re not Robert. Meanwhile, Robert has hit the marriage market at the request of his grandfather. Saying Nathaniel Conrad requested his grandson to marry isn’t exactly true… it was really a demand down to mentioning he doesn’t have much time left on this planet. Either way, it certainly brought Robert to the marriage market at the right time before Annabelle marries anyone but him!

The writing was excellent and drew me in right away. It was extremely difficult to put this book down every single time I picked it up. The writing is that good. It’s also very easy to follow Annabelle and Robert despite the two of them failing to communicate or listen properly. So much would’ve been solved right away if they bothered to have a heart to heart with open ears, but they were too busy going back and forth between sassing each other being full of lust. They certainly were made for each other and are a great match.

I also enjoyed meeting the range of different supporting characters. Nathaniel is my favorite character and I would love to see a prequel with him as the main character. I doubt that’s something that would ever happen, but I can dream! He’s so serious yet hilarious in his own way. I really love no BS kind of characters. While he gives it to you straight, he never does it in a malicious way so that just makes him an even better character. I did like some of Annabelle and Robert’s friends, but I’m very excited to see more of Lady Wallingham as I jump into the full series.

My only complaint is the seemingly random murder mystery that pops up in the book. While I know it’s supposed to really drive home the gravity of Annabelle’s secret, it was super out of place. It just had the characters running around in circles and Robert acting downright silly. It’s the one thing I wish didn’t make it into the book. Otherwise, I really enjoyed reading this and look forward to checking out the first book in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment