Wednesday, April 12, 2023

Gods of Inthya (Tales of Inthya #5.5) by Effie Calvin

 
Gods of Inthya by Effie Calvin
My Rating: ★★★★★

As a fan of the series, I was excited when I saw this collection of short stories was coming out. We usually follow two characters through their individual perspectives, but this time, we get a series of short stories following the different gods featured throughout the series. While fans of the series are familiar with many of these gods, we’ve only actually seen a small selection of them appear in real time throughout the books. It was exciting to get to see this universe through the perspective of the different gods, which also hints at what is to come should the series continue.

It was a little tricky figuring out the timeline at first, but I’ve gathered that the timeline is not important. As the book would say, it’s a human concern compared to the bigger picture! I had a lot of fun getting a glimpse at the lives of the different gods. I particularly liked Cyne’s chapter. Cyne is the God of Animals, because we got to see what happens to animals in the after life. As someone who has always loved animals and has a few pets that have passed away, I found this chapter particularly touching as well as comforting.

I also loved Nara, Thyana, Adalia, and Mesphine’s chapters. I enjoyed reading every chapter, these are the ones that fell into my favorites along with Cyne’s chapter. It was so neat to see their perspectives and how they interact with humans as well as with one another.  I doubt we’ll see the stories through most of the character’s perspectives again, but I would enjoy seeing a book that followed all the gods dealing with the danger that is to come should the series continue.

All in all, I think this is a great collection of short stories to go along with the series. It’s not a must read, at least at this point in time, but I do think they are worth reading. It’s also worth pointing out that some of the chapters include heavy content. When those chapters come up, there are content warnings detailing the heavy and sensitive subject matter so that readers can choose to skip the chapter in question. It’s nice to see more and more authors include trigger warnings or content warnings so that readers can either skip the chapter or prepare themselves before beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment