Sunday, March 20, 2022

The Witch and the Beast, Vol. 6 (The Witch and the Beast #6) by Kousuke Satake

 
The Witch and the Beast, Vol. 6 by Kousuke Satake
My Rating:
★★★

Ashaf and Guideau find themselves in a whole new world, literally, after taking a trip to The Fall. Now complete outsiders, they must make contact with envoys so they can make the most of this trip. Unfortunately for them, they find themselves sticking out like a sore thumb and unwilling participants in one of their envoy’s secret plots.

This is the first time that I’ve been disappointed by a volume and I’m feeling a little iffy about that. I was pretty excited about Ashaf and Guideau’s adventures to an entirely different world from theirs only to feel like the whole volume was dragging along. It kind of felt like I was reading the opening volume for a new series rather than an ongoing one since there was a lot of world building and exposition to set up the new location.

That said, I do appreciate the effort put into worldbuilding and the way it was done. I like that it was an ongoing explanation to Guideau since they aren’t familiar with it. However, I do wish that the plot got rolling sooner than it did because it really dragged along. I have a feeling that I’d like this volume much better if I read it and the following volume back-to-back, but I’ll have to wait until I get the seventh volume to confirm this.

All in all, it’s not a bad volume. It just felt like it took a step or two back due to how slow it was with not much going on given how far into the series we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment