Thursday, February 6, 2020

Spark Joy: An Illustrated Master Class on the Art of Organizing and Tidying Up (Magic Cleaning #2) by Marie Kondō

Spark Joy: An Illustrated Master Class on the Art of Organizing and Tidying Up by Marie Kondō
My Rating: ★★★★

After reading the first book in the “Magic Cleaning” series as well as the manga, I decided to pick this book up as well. I wouldn’t call this a master class because it’s much closer to being a cleaning encyclopedia with some extra info thrown in. I also love that there’s an index at the back of the book so that I can quickly find the section I might want to read again later.

I don’t think it’s necessary to read both books in the series. Instead, I would highly recommend picking up this book and pair it with the manga. I think that they complement each other well. That said, all three books do have useful information. I just think that this book lays out the same information in a much better way than the first book in the duology does. It also has several graphs breaking down the KonMarie clothing folding method, which is something that is missing in the previous book.

As always, I do think that it’s okay to skip some parts of her method if it doesn’t work for you. For example, I’ve tidied my space using her method and skipped over thanking the clothes and other things I got rid of and donated. However, I did find that figuring out if an item brings me joy is very helpful when deciding if I should keep or get rid of something. I originally thought it was an odd thing to do, but hey. Don’t knock it until you try it! It really did make a difference.
All in all, I think it’s a great book to pick up and read. Even if you don’t plan on taking on a new way of cleaning and tidying, the KonMarie method does have a lot of useful tips that can be incorporated into what you’re doing now.

No comments:

Post a Comment