Sunday, January 12, 2020

Bloodlust & Bonnets by Emily McGovern

Bloodlust & Bonnets by Emily McGovern
My Rating: ★★★★

When Lucy kills a bunch of vampires, she’s approached by the mysterious Lady Violet Travesty. Before Travesty can recruit Lucy and induct her into her secret vampire cult, she’s killed by Lord Byron. At least, that’s what Lucy and Byron think because Travesty is a mysterious and ancient vampire who just happens to be immortal. Joining Byron’s vampire hunting team of one, Lucy embarks on a hilarious journey to find Travesty and defeat her. Along the way, Lucy and Byron gain a third team member: a very serious vampire slayer. Above all? She just wants to know what Travesty meant when she said Lucy was special.

When I first started this book, I wasn’t really into it. The story wasn’t drawing me in, and I thought Lucy and Byron were a bit too shallow and airy. However, once Sham joins the team, the story got rolling and I really got into it. Plus, it turns out that Lucy and Byron aren’t as shallow and vapid as they first appear. I grew to love them both along with Sham, BB, and Victoria. I had so much fun following these characters on their hilarious adventures.

As the story unfolds, it’s clear that our team is a truly fabulous team. Lucy is bisexual, sassy, and cares a lot about everyone even when she’s mad. Sham is a super serious vampire slayer who wants to be known as the best slayer. She goes by she/her and has a terrible sense of direction. Byron is a very self-involved character who thinks that the world surrounds him, but he has a heart of gold. Plus, there’s BB, Victoria, and the spacey magic house that means well.

This is a hilarious story with cute artwork, fun characters, and silly yet interesting storylines that I love to pieces. I love how it pokes fun at vampires, romance, and even itself. I’m glad I kept on reading when the story wasn’t pulling me in because then I would’ve missed out on this gem. I had a good time reading it and I enjoyed the artwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment