Monday, February 11, 2019

Wires and Nerve (Wires and Nerve #1) by Marissa Meyer, Douglas Holgate

Wires and Nerve by Marissa Meyer, Douglas Holgate
My Rating: ★★★★

Picking up where the final book in the The Lunar Chronicles series left off, Wires and Nerve follows Iko as she hunts down rogue wolf-hybrid soldiers that have been wreaking havoc on Earth. Iko puts on her fashionably badass clothes to kick ass and take names, but above all, hopefully help these soldiers get rehabilitated back on Luna.  In an action packed new graphic novel spin-off, we see all our old favorites from the Rampion as we follow Iko on her latest adventure.

When I heard that there was going to be a graphic novel spin-off of The Lunar Chronicles, I could barely contain my excitement. Now that I’ve finally read the opening volume of the series, I am even more excited because Iko is one of my favorite characters and it’s so nice to see her shine in her own story. Iko is really blossoming but it’s so sad that the world doesn’t recognize her as a person because she’s an android. There’s a clear divide between the way her friends, who are practically family, see her and the way the world does. I do spy a potential love interest who is on the fence between seeing her as an android with artificial feelings and a true person. I’m excited that Iko will likely be getting her own happily ever after!

The story itself is interesting and fun and I loved the way they open the series with information about what’s been happening and where we are when the story picks up. It’s so lovely to see all my favorite characters again. I didn’t realize how much I missed them until I started reading. It’s great to see what they’re each up to and how much they miss each other. I can’t wait to see this group of friends to finally be in one place again.

The artwork is beautiful as well, but I do have one complaint. Some of the characters are so similar that they look like the same characters with minor differences, such as hair and clothes. Otherwise, the artwork is really pretty and I’m excited to see how it develops as the story progresses.

2 comments:

  1. I had that same problem with the SLAM! graphic novels - all the girls are dressed in their roller derby outfits and it is SO HARD to tell them apart when they are talking to each other before or after a bout!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man! It was so hard to tell most of the characters apart. I started telling them apart by their clothes before reading the text because sometimes even their hair was too similar to other characters. It was very confusing at first!

      Delete