Monday, July 16, 2018

Engaged in Danger (Jamie Quinn Mystery #4) by Barbara Venkataraman

Engaged in Danger by Barbara Venkataraman
My Rating: ★★★★

Jamie Quinn is just getting comfortable when life decides to kick up some dust. Her loving boyfriend, Kip, is taking off to Australia to save and preserve northern hairy-nosed wombats for three months. Plus, she gets in a fight with her best friend right as they team up on a huge and difficult divorce case. To top things off, someone is trying to sabotage her, a small case she took as a favor is blowing up, and someone just tried to frame her for murder. Just when she thinks that things can’t get any crazier, she falls straight into a trap when all she wants to do is get to the bottom of her two biggest cases and make up with her bestie.

One of the things that I love about this series is that there are multiple mysteries occurring at once. This time around, Jamie is working on a major divorce case involving a threatening man. Plus, she’s helping her neighbors find the info they need so that they can start a case against whoever is at fault for a plane crash, which soon becomes a much bigger case than anyone realized. These books always involve her work mysteries and personal mysteries, first with Jamie’s father and now with her lovely neighbors. It’s an extra touch that I love. I look forward to seeing how these dual mysteries continue to present themselves as the series continues. 

Plus, it was fun seeing this great cast of characters return for another installment. Jamie is such a fun character. She doesn’t like conflict, which makes her a reluctant lawyer, and she’s got a big heart that she wears on her sleeve. Jamie can also be a bit lippy about dating, which gets her in trouble with her best friend, Grace. I also enjoyed seeing Duke again. Not only is hilarious, but he has a great name. Marmaduke! I always enjoy the banter that goes on between him and Jamie and seeing what kind of shenanigans he will get up to. I also love Jamie’s cousin, Adam. He’s such a wonderful character and I love seeing him again.

While I love Kip, we didn’t see him much this time around as he was in Australia for majority of the book. Maybe next time, Kip! I also love Grace, but I’ve come to realize that she’s a bit immature in regards to her romantic relationships. Between Grace viewing her boyfriends through rose tinted shades and Jamie’s strong opinions on said boyfriends, the two are always at odds about dating. I couldn’t believe how immature Grace was this time around. She was working on a huge case with Jamie all while refusing to communicate with her unless by e-mail through her assistant. While Jamie could zip it up a little, even about Grace’s exes, I think Grace has some growing to do.

I haven’t covered all of the characters, but all of them, including the new ones, were fun to see as the story unfolded. I’m excited to see where Jamie and the rest of the characters will go from here. I’m hoping that we can see Jamie’s father in the near future. My fingers are crossed for the two of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment